The factory cones dominated the skyline of Nailsea for almost 100 years, until ceasing production in 1873. The canal never materialised, and when the coal ran out, it was the final nail in the coffin of Nailsea Glass.
It had been run under a series of owners, and when the glassworks finally closed its doors, the site was bought up by one of their glass competitors, the Chance Brothers, to ensure it could never be opened again.
The site languished and fell into disrepair, before being flattened to make way for the Tesco supermarket in the late 1990s.
Article and images supplied by: